This online roundtable event discussed the role of migration in tackling rural depopulation and the benefits and challenges of initiatives involving multi-level stakeholders.
We shared findings from Migration Policy Scotland’s research in this area, presenting some examples of policies and initiatives from Canada and Spain.
A panel of international experts offered insights on:
- the benefits and challenges of multi-level initiatives,
- questions of decision-making and governance,
- appropriate mechanisms for planning, implementation and evaluation of policy interventions
- Dr. Laurie Brinklow (Chair of the Institute of Island Studies, University of Prince Edward Island)
- Dr Rachel Marangozov (Director of MigrationWork CIC)
- Prof. Vicente Pinilla (Director, University of Zaragoza Chair on Depopulation and Creativity)
This event was part of a collaborative project on ‘The role of migration in strategic responses to rural depopulation’ by University of Glasgow and MPS funded by a Scottish Council on Global Affairs Insight Award
Read a blog about the event from MPS research assistant Hana Davis here
For details of future MPS events – sign up to our Monthly Updates.